Wednesday, October 7, 2009

The Hunt is On!

On top of almost everyone's list I've found is networking. Don't keep your job search to yourself. Tell friends, family and former colleagues about the type of position you're looking for. It's a tough proposition for those who might be timid or introverted, but it has to be done. According to all I've read out there, this vital conduit can not only land you a position but provide for potential customers/clients in that new position.


Another area often tossed out is temporary positions. Don't be so quick to say no to temporary positions. Those temporary positions often turn into full-time jobs. Even if they don't, working temporarily still bolsters your résumé. It also is a great way to avoid doing nothing!!


When I set out on my hunt, there wasn't a company with an opening that didn't have a copy of my resume. I didn't care or think to care that blindly applying for every position out there wasn't going to bolster my chances of successfully attaining my dream position. On the contrary, I may have burned a few bridges by using what I call, "The blanketing".


Instead of blindly sending out résumés to every help-wanted ad in your field I found that targeting companies and positions that are the right match would be a far better approach. I tailored my cover letters accordingly and adjusted my resume to reflect specific requirements of the company. Yes, it's a job in itself. But landing the right position is worth it in the end. By taking the time to specifically address the person in charge of hiring shows you've done your homework as an example. It shows you're interested in the job because you're aware of their history, growth and achievements--not just because you want any job.


If you do happen to get an interview, knowing about the company's mission, strategy and competitors goes a long ways. The interview should be a conversation. The candidate is interviewing the company just as much as the company is interviewing him or her. That means you should ask smart, relevant questions that demonstrate your knowledge of the company. When answering questions, use examples from your past work experience that demonstrate how you accomplished a goal.


If you've recently graduated from college and don't have much work history, utilize examples from committees you've served on or leadership positions you've held. After the interview, send a thank you note to everyone you met. Hand-written notes especially help candidates stand out from the crowd, since they're so rare in this electronic age. Anything that separates you will go a long way toward landing the job.


Just a note on resumes and formatting. Companies prefer resumes sent online, keep the formatting simple with a Microsoft Word document. Avoid fancy formatting and bullet points since that gets lost in the process. I can't count the hours I've spent trying to make my resume presentable in the myraid of site formatting standards out there. If you want something to stand out, bold fonts work just fine.


Well that's it for now. My first blog in the wide world of cyber job hunting practices. If no one happens to read it that's fine too. It's painting by numbers and I can count so it's all good! Happy hunting!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave any comments or suggestions. Thanks for showing an interest by visiting Core Values.